Accuphase C-2900 is the model that took the baton from the Accuphase C-2850 precision stereo preamplifier and got a lot from the top Accuphase C-3900. As before, the input switching of new C-2900 is numerous and diverse. In “analog” presented and unbalanced RCA, and balanced XLR-connectors.
True, there is no phono stage in the basic version. And this is logical – the Accuphase C-2900 is in the price range when, as a rule, a dedicated phono stage is used. Otherwise, an Accuphase AD-2900 phono stage expansion unit is available that is compatible with MM and MC cartridges and plugs into the slot on the rear panel. You can do this yourself.
Discrete input stage
Like the top model, the Accuphase C-2900 is equipped with a discrete input stage with current feedback and high gain. It also uses AAVA’s proprietary balanced circuitry with variable gain – for volume and balance control. The design of the regulator itself has been updated.
Fluorocarbon Resin PCBs
The C-2900 circuit boards are made of fluorocarbon resin reinforced with glass cloth. This combination ensured a low dielectric constant. In contrast, the gold-plated copper conductors are said to have provided good conductivity. The unit features individual phase adjustment for each input, a mono-stereo switch and the ability to step down the volume by 20dB. There is also a tone-compensation mode.
Logic-controlled relays for signal switching
Naturally, the novelty got relay switching of inputs with individual tone control. Information about the mode of operation is visible on the display, which can be turned off if necessary. The power supply has a pair of toroidal transformers in finned shields and a pair of 10 000μF filter capacitors – separately for each of the channels.
High-carbon cast iron insulator feet
All of this is housed in a tough metal case with wood trim, in an old-school signature style. The painting was completed with high carbon cast iron dampers.
The Accuphase AD-2900 has a MSRP of 22,700 euros.
Accuphase C-2900 Specifications
- Balanced AAVA volume control
- Logic-controlled relays for signal switching assure high sound quality and long-term reliability
- Printed circuit boards for signal transmission use glass cloth fluorocarbon resin with low dielectric constant and minimum loss along with gold-plating on copper foil surfaces
- Power supply circuits with separate toroidal transformers and filtering capacitors (10,000 μF × 4 pcs) for the left and right
- Newly developed volume sensor construction for a quiet and smooth operation feel
- Versatile arrangement of inputs and outputs (five line level inputs, two balanced inputs, two line level outputs, and two balanced outputs)
- Line level input and output connectors for a recorder
- Line level and balanced EXT PRE inputs for connection of an external preamplifier
- Individual phase setting for each input
- Switchable overall gain (12 dB / 18 dB / 24 dB)
- Left / right balance control through Balanced AAVA
- Stereo signal can be switched to monophonic operation
- Volume attenuator to instantly reduce sound to as low as –20 dB
- Loudness compensator for correcting the perceived spectral balance
- Informative and easy to read input and volume level display with on / off switching
- Discretely configured, high-quality headphone amplifier with parallel push/pull output stages
- Subsonic filter that cuts off ultra-low frequency noise from record warping
- Natural grain wood case with a mirror finish crafted by artisans using carefully selected virgin wood
- High-carbon cast iron insulator feet with superior damping characteristics
- Adding the AD-2900 to the C-2900 allows you to play analog discs.
- Front panel switching function for using a phono equalizer expansion unit
• MC/MM switching
• MC load impedance switching (10 / 30 / 100 / 200 / 300 ohms)
• Gain switching (MM: 34 / 40 dB, MC: 64 / 70 dB)