Another premium system by Peter Lyngdorf, released under the “piano” brand and in collaboration with Steinway & Sons, was called Model A – in honor of the brand’s piano of the same name. Unlike Steinway & Lyngdorf’s dipole models, the Model A is designed to be placed against a wall. Moreover, the depth of the cabinet, trimmed with strings and matte gold inserts, with sides in piano lacquer in black or white color, is only 270mm.
Space-saving room design
Thus, the Steinway & Sons Model A speaker does not take up much space in the room. New loudspeaker are recommended for installation in apartments, penthouses and even on yachts. The 76kg closed cabinet is 1150mm high and is made of aluminum and MDF on a steel base. It is especially noted that Model A is designed and assembled by hand in Denmark.
Air Motion Transformer tweeter
Steinway & Sons Model A – three-way systems. The drivers include an Air Motion Transformer tweeter with Steinway Lyngdorf proprietary membrane. A 165mm midrange driver with an anodized aluminum cone is responsible for the mids. Bass is handled by a pair of 30cm woofers. All together they cover the frequency range of 25 Hz-22 kHz with -3 dB unevenness.
RoomPerfect sound correction technology
Model A is recommended to be connected to a Steinway Lyngdorf stereo processor and a digital amplifier – in this case, the system fully implements Steinway Lyngdorf’s proprietary RoomPerfect sound correction technology.
Acoustics can be equipped with digital power amplifiers Steinway & Sons A1 or A2. When connected in-band, Steinway & Sons stereo or surround processors can be used as active crossovers, processing the signal digitally.
Availability and price
Steinway & Sons Model A speakers will be available starting in the second quarter of 2022. The European price of the Steinway & Sons Model A speakers will be around 22,000 euros.
Steinway & Sons Model A Specifications
- Description: Full-range in-room loudspeaker
- Tweeter: Air Motion Transformer, Kapton foil, Neodymium magnet
- Midrange: 165mm / 6,5”, anodized aluminum cone, vented magnet with copper clad pole piece, 35mm / 1,4” two-layer voice coil, molded aluminum basket
- Woofer: Two 30 cm / 12”, anodized aluminum cone, vented double magnet with copper ring, 75mm / 3” four-layer voice coil, molded aluminum basket
- Enclosure: Closed cabinet, aluminum and MDF, steel base
- Frequence range: 25 – 22,000 Hz (-3 dB)
- Amplification: A1 or A2 Amplifier, 2 x 400 watt per loudspeaker
- Amplification channels: 2 per loudspeaker
- Max SPL@1m: 114 dB
- Crossover: Woofer/Midrange: Digital crossover stored in processor, 200 Hz. Midrange/Tweeter: Passive crossover, 2200Hz
- Connections: Neutrik speakON
- Placement: Floor-standing, against the wall
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 500 x 1150 x 270 mm / 19,7 x 45,3 x 10,6 inches (incl. base plinth)
- Weight: 76 kg / 168 lb
- Finish: Black piano finish, custom finishes available