The Sumiko Wellfleet Phono Cartridge received a lighter diamond needle
The Japanese company Sumiko Phono Cartridges has introduced the Wellfleet, another MM cartridge from the Rainier family in the Oyster series. It differs from other models only in the stylus assembly – it is installed in the already well-known Moonstone cartridge.
The Wellfleet uses a solid diamond stylus with a Nude edge, which, coupled with the reduced weight of the stylus, results in a faster and more accurate sound. Also, Sumiko specialists have increased the flexibility of the suspension in the Wellfleet. The elliptical shape of the diamond, obtained as a result of careful polishing, will also contribute to the sound.
With these features, Sumiko claims, with Wellfleet, “vocals are immediate, clear, and detailed, the warmth of human vocal work becomes more apparent with hints of rasp and emphasized subtleties, boosted by tight and well controlled bass. “. Backing vocals are easier to discern, as are features of individual instruments such as the rattling snare strings and the resonances of wooden guitar bodies. The scene, according to the promises of Sumiko, will become deeper, and the recording itself will become more atmospheric.
Availability and price
Like all Sumiko cartridges, the Wellfleet MM is made in Yokohama. The novelty will go on sale until the end of February. In the US, the cost of the cartridge will be $500.
Sumiko Wellfleet Phono Cartridge Specifications
- Mass & Dimension 6.5g, 17.2 x 18.8 x 29mm (WxHxD)
- Stylus 0.3 x 0.7mil Nude Elliptical
- Cantilever ⌀0.5mm Aluminum Pipe
- Coils High-Purity Copper
- Internal Impedance 1,130Ω
- Load Impedance 47kΩ
- Frequency Response 12Hz – 33kHz
- Output 3.0mV
- Channel Separation 30dB @ 1kHz
- Channel Balance 0.5dB @ 1kHz
- Compliance 13×10-6cm/dyn @ 100Hz
- Capacitance 100pF – 200pF
- Vertical Tracking Angle 26°
- Tracking Force Range 1.8g – 2.2g
- Recommended Tracking Force 2.0g
- Replacement Stylus Unit RS Rainier, Olympia, Moonstone, Wellfleet, Amethyst or RS 78