Schiit Audio Tyr amplifier: massive choke and proprietary topology
The American company Schiit Audio called the Tyr monoblock their “craziest amplifier ever”, supplementing the description with the epithets “monstrous, old school and insanely heavy”. Well, not so crazy – 25kg, but they are completely justified: the circuit used a massive transformer, a four-kilogram inductor, plus a 160,000 microfarad filter capacitor bank and 24 Toshiba output transistor assemblies also add mass.
The Schiit Audio Tyr has seven internal power buses, among which there are high-voltage step-up buses. They used discrete CFP regulators. Tyr is created in proprietary Nexus circuitry. It is a balanced differential amplifier equipped with a current feedback discrete output stage in a Continuity topology. For 4 ohm speakers, it is ready to deliver a maximum of 350 watts RMS at a damping factor of 200.
At the same time, the novelty works under the control of a microprocessor, the firmware of which Schiit Audio intends to update in the future. The monoblock can receive input signal both on an unbalanced RCA connector and on a balanced XLR. The amplifier is available in black and silver design and is backed by a five-year manufacturer’s warranty.
In the US, the Schiit Audio Tyr monoblock amplifier was priced at $1,599.
Schiit Audio Tyr Specifications
- Power Output: 8 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel maximum 4 Ohms: 350W RMS per channel maximum
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB
- THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 200W RMS into 8 ohms
- IMD: <0.01%, CCIR, at 200W RMS into 8 ohms
- SNR: >125db, A-weighted, referenced to full output
- Damping Factor: >200 into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz
- Gain: 22 (28dB)
- Input Sensitivity: AKA Rated Output (Vrms)/Rated Gain. Or, 40/22. You do the math.
- Input Impedance: 47k ohms SE, 47k ohms balanced
- Inputs: RCA for SE input, XLR for balanced input, rear panel switchable
- Topology: Nexus™ discrete differential current feedback gain stage, no coupling capacitors or DC servos with Continuity™ constant transconductance output stage, all BJT output
- Power Supply: 600VA transformer with 600VA choke input to main rails, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages, plus separate, isolated and regulated rails for microprocessor management.
- Power Consumption: 750W maximum
- Size: 16” x 13” x 3.875”
- Weight: 55 lbs each