The American company Schiit Audio called the Tyr monoblock their “craziest amplifier ever”, supplementing the description with the epithets “monstrous, old school and insanely heavy”. Well, not so crazy – 25kg, but they are completely justified: the circuit used a massive transformer, a four-kilogram inductor, plus a 160,000 microfarad filter capacitor bank and 24 Toshiba output transistor assemblies also add mass.
The Schiit Audio Tyr has seven internal power buses, among which there are high-voltage step-up buses. They used discrete CFP regulators. Tyr is created in proprietary Nexus circuitry. It is a balanced differential amplifier equipped with a current feedback discrete output stage in a Continuity topology. For 4 ohm speakers, it is ready to deliver a maximum of 350 watts RMS at a damping factor of 200.
At the same time, the novelty works under the control of a microprocessor, the firmware of which Schiit Audio intends to update in the future. The monoblock can receive input signal both on an unbalanced RCA connector and on a balanced XLR. The amplifier is available in black and silver design and is backed by a five-year manufacturer’s warranty.
In the US, the Schiit Audio Tyr monoblock amplifier was priced at $1,599.
Schiit Audio Tyr Specifications
- Power Output: 8 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel maximum 4 Ohms: 350W RMS per channel maximum
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB
- THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 200W RMS into 8 ohms
- IMD: <0.01%, CCIR, at 200W RMS into 8 ohms
- SNR: >125db, A-weighted, referenced to full output
- Damping Factor: >200 into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz
- Gain: 22 (28dB)
- Input Sensitivity: AKA Rated Output (Vrms)/Rated Gain. Or, 40/22. You do the math.
- Input Impedance: 47k ohms SE, 47k ohms balanced
- Inputs: RCA for SE input, XLR for balanced input, rear panel switchable
- Topology: Nexus™ discrete differential current feedback gain stage, no coupling capacitors or DC servos with Continuity™ constant transconductance output stage, all BJT output
- Power Supply: 600VA transformer with 600VA choke input to main rails, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages, plus separate, isolated and regulated rails for microprocessor management.
- Power Consumption: 750W maximum
- Size: 16” x 13” x 3.875”
- Weight: 55 lbs each